RSS Feed Widget
Introduction (What is an RSS feed)
Almost all websites on the internet have whats called an RSS feed which is essentially a machine readable file that contains links and snippets of all newly created content from a blog or website designed to be used in feed reading software.
You may also like: How to subscribe to an RSS feed
This process enables users to keep up-to-date on content from multiple websites without having to manually check each website for new content. RSS feeds are therefore very useful for keeping up-to-date with news but they are also useful for curating content from around the web.
Our RSS feed widget allows you to insert a feed URL and get an inline block you can add to your own website to display relevant feeds to your visitors that they may be interested in and can even be used to show content from other platforms like Twitter if you have the correct feed URL.
Embedding RSS feeds on your website
Adding to a WordPress website/blog
WordPress is by far one of the most popular CMS platforms powering a large percentage of websites including ours, this section will show you how to embed this tool on your WordPress blog.
Adding the widget to a post or page:
- Login the WordPress back-end and navigate to the page or post of choice and click on edit
- From here choose text and paste in the code in the next free line
- Click on visual and publish the page or post
- The widget will now be active on this specific page, if you would like the code to appear site-wide then follow the steps below to add the widget to the sidebar
Adding the widget to the sidebar:
- Login the WordPress back-end and navigate to Appearance –> Widgets
- From here drag the text widget to the active widgets
- Once moved click inside the text box choose “text” and paste the code here
- Press save and the widget will now be visible across your website or blog
For other CMS platforms see our guide here.
Example: CNN top stories RSS feed
One of the most popular news sites would have to be CNN, this example will show you how you can add the CNN top stories feed into your site using our widget.
- Get the feed, at the time of writing this is available here: http://rss.cnn.com/rss/edition.rss
- Paste the URL in the box above and add a title
- Lastly select the number of entries you would like to display such as the last 5 stories and then click “generate”
- Paste the code into the page on your website as shown in the instructions above.
Other feed URL’s you can use:
Other feeds you could also use include the following:
- Reuters: http://feeds.reuters.com/reuters/topNews?format=xml
- Yahoo News: https://www.yahoo.com/news/rss
- NBC: https://feeds.nbcnews.com/nbcnews/public/news
- The Guardian (world news): https://www.theguardian.com/world/rss
- Most WordPress blogs: example.com/feed
- New York Times: https://rss.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/HomePage.xml
We hope you found this tool to be be useful, if so be sure to share it with your friends and check out our other software utilities for more.
Some of our other tools and software
Photo by Suzy Hazelwood from Pexels
WarnerMedia.Sreejithk2000 at en.wikipedia / Public domain