Do you have an iPhone or Android smartphone? chances are you have probably lost some data. Much like our computers lose data their mobile counterparts are very similar and can also lose data. Whether you accidentally deleted a file or perhaps your device was formatted then you probably think that your data is gone, after all you don’t have a recycle bin on a mobile device like your PC.
Thankfully data doesn’t quite work that way, when you delete a file it doesn’t just spontaneously combust but instead the Operating System marks the file as free and removes the link to the file. While this occurs the file is still there and is waiting to be overwritten by a new file. The key to data recovery is to act fast and retrieve the data quickly before it is overwritten, therefore I recommend for data recovery to be most effective you act fast and begin the process immediately when needed.
For Android Users:
If you own any android device the process is fairly easy to get started you can use a mobile application or a desktop program to do the job, the only factor to consider here is the mobile application requires you to have a rooted device whereas the desktop version doesn’t.
Mobile Version (ROOT REQUIRED)
- On your mobile device go to the playstore and search for an app called “Disk digger” there are 2 versions, the free one will get you pictures but nothing else. If you have other files you need then you can also purchase the pro version which costs $4.07 and will allow you to recover all file formats.
- Once installed launch the application and when prompted allow or grant superuser access to the program, if this fails close the app then open SuperSU or our superuser app and find Disk digger then choose grant and always before re-opening the program.
- Now that that’s done launch the program and you should be presented with a list of partitions, generally you will want to choose “/data” which is most likely your internal storage.
- Depending on your version of Android this may be different and more partitions may appear, choose the ones applicable and Diskdigger will search through them and look for any data.
- Ones scanning has completed place a check-mark next to any files of interest and select the save icon (floppy disk like icon), here you can also preview the image or video to check it out before restoring.
- Once the process is done all your files should be back to the way they were to prevent future mistakes I recommend an app called dumpster which acts like the recycle bin in Windows and will hold files before deleting them permanently.
Disk digger free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.defianttech.diskdigger
Desktop version (For non-rooted devices)
For this we will use a handy utility named “Wondershare Dr Fone which can be found here
This program costs money however you can get a view deleted items, if you plan on using it to recover those files then you will then need to purchase the program to recover those files.
- Go to the main website and download the latest version for Mac or Windows, be sure to check the system requirements first but in most cases your PC or Mac will qualify.
- After downloading run through the setup process to install the tool onto your machine
- Next open the main application and you should be presented with a message simply choose evaluate and then tick the preferred files and then “start scan” this will search through and look for lost data. Remember though if you want to recover those files you will require a license.
- After that just choose your options and you should be able to get to your files again, and hopefully the next time around you will have a backup of all those files.
For iOS users:
Desktop version: This process will work across both PC and Mac and will not require the assistance of a jailbreak
- The process is virtually identical to the Android method, simply connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod to your computer and launch the program
- From here choose “Evaluate” and then start a scan, remember that the scan will reveal your files it is advised to do this before considering paying for the program to recover your data files.
- The program is quite comprehensive and will offer to recover: contacts, SMS, call logs, pictures and also videos.
- Now just wait for the scan to finish and then just go through and see if it found any files of interest.
Other notable mentions
Tenorshare iPhone recovery: http://www.tenorshare.com/products/iphone-data-recovery-win.html
FREE PROGRAM (EASEUS MOBISAVER): http://www.easeus.com/mobile-tool/free-iphone-data-recovery.html
And that’s it you should now be able to get those files again, just remember the golden rule of data recovery is to act fast and start immediately before that data is overwritten in memory. If you found this guide to be helpful be sure to check out our software utilities and check out our videos for more.
You may also like:
Last updated 11th of January 2020
Hi and welcome to AGR Technology, my name is Alessio and I maintain this blog aiming to cover all things tech including Windows, macOS, Android and Linux. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy this website.